Interviews from the owners of old businesses of Xylokastro
started in 1905 and it is one of the ten older shops in Xylokastro. The bisiness
was as it is now for the kind but the place has been changed many times. The
tools which were used are pairs of scissors, hammers and other tools which are
like these. Before years the money was collected calculable, by cheque and by
credit for local people if it
was needed. The work that they done years ago and nowadays is Hydraulics and
window panes.Nowadays owner’s father was a
tinman and the owner is plumber but he also is occupied with
other works of the bisiness. The owner work 8 hours a day as he told us. The
customers are more then before years because of as that time there were only
farmers but now there are also touristes. Last 40 years the bisiness hasn’t
changed. Before years nowadays owner’s father wore a uniform something that
nowadays owner doesn’t do. The bisiness is secured in TEBE ( Fund of Greek
Tradesmen and Craftsmen) since it came into existence.
The bisiness before was more profitable because the expenses were less but there
are also pitchings. This bisiness ended in nowadays owner from grandfather to
the son and from him to his son. The owner told us that he wants to keep this
bisiness which has changed and it has developed since it belongs to this owner.
The local customers hasn’t changed but the touristes always wanted something
it is written:
been founded in 1907.
is a trade postcard
we can see the dispatch’s circular seal ( 20. 2.38) and two stamps. They are
part of memorial edition of the heir Paul’s wedding.
The shop was made by dust
combined with water and windows were used for show-cases. Also the shoes were
hand-made and some of them were from other cities. The shop at 1925 and old
machines were used. The people didn’t have enough money so the used to trade
shoes with other products and those years the shops were working every day and
Sunday after the church. There were many clients because there were not enough
shops. Summer was the best season because of a camp but Christmas and Easter had
profits too. The employees did not have to wear a special uniform and the
business was well-known and going very well. The owner got the business from his
father and made some changes like replacing windows with show-cases. The clients
today expect more as there are many types of shoes. At 1925 the owner was
working alone but after 1940 he was ordering the shoes ready. Also since 1941 to
1944 the business was not working because of the war with the Germans. Finally,
there are no old papers since then.
to the table of the contents